Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I Heart New York



Lindsey Kelk is apparently being toted around the book industry as ‘the new Sophie Kinsella’. Unfortunately, I cannot whether or not I agree with this statement as I haven’t read any of Kinsella’s novels, but I know that her Shopaholic books are so popular that a movie came out a few years ago based on them, starring Isla Fisher (wife of Sacha Baron Cohen).

I Heart New York is the story of Angela, who has been engaged for around ten years to Mark, whom she discovers in the back of their car with a woman with whom he has been having an affair for quite a while. After embarrassing herself at her best friend’s wedding, Angela flees to New York (as you do) where she checks into the first hotel she finds. She manages to make a best friend over night with unlucky in love concierge Jenny, and then on two of her first outings in town manages to attract an important financial type, Tyler, and the lead singer of one of her favourite bands, Alex.

Now, I do enjoy a good no-brains-required read every once in a while. I like The Devil Wears Prada, still find the YA Georgia Nicholson novels really funny and I also quite like Maeve Binchy. But, this book asked for far to much suspension of disbelief that I was willing to give it.

Angela is apparently transformed by a new haircut and make-up style. The novel seems to hint at the weirdly material idea that if you buy lots of new things and change the way you look, men are bound to love you. Especially rich men. The timing of the novel is also a bit strange. Everything happens very quickly, and hardly any of the characters seem to question this. There is also the fact that Angela writes a blog detailing her love life with both Tyler and Alex, which seems to be more than a little bit borrowed from Sex & The City and the magazine even has the formidable boss figure, a la Miranda from Prada.

Whilst I did like the descriptions of New York, the city at least came alive through the book, I was less enamoured with the novel itself. Kelk has since written I Heart Hollywood and I Heart Paris if you wish to continue reading about Angela, but I think this novel, which I got free with Glamour magazine, was all that I needed
.

No comments:

Post a Comment