Thursday, September 2, 2010

A Gate at the Stairs


Lorrie Moore’s coming-of-age story follows Tassie Keltjin, a daughter of an eccentric Midwest farmer, who leaves her home to study at the university town of Troy. Whilst there, she becomes the nanny to an older couple, Sarah, a chef, and Edward, a lecturer.

Moore succeeds in making Tassie an interesting and sympathetic heroine, and I found myself sympathising with her on many occasions. She also manages to make enough subtle hints that all is not quite perfect in the life of Sarah and Edward, something that goes beyond the fact that they have had to adopt their baby.

I also enjoyed the more descriptive passages of the novel, the descriptions of the street on which Sarah and Edward live on the changing seasons, how little phrases can recall flashbacks to Tassie’s childhood on the farm.

My issue with this novel, however, is the fact that there seem to be many different themes all vying for attention. I think that Moore’s intention was to give a snapshot of the many issues facing America today-racism, adoption, education, fundamental religion, terrorism, war-yet for me, none of these themes felt really wholly developed enough. Whilst they were all touched on nicely, it felt at times that Moore had a little too much to say, and not enough room to discuss it properly. Surprising really, considering she is best known as a short-story author.

Overall, I did quite enjoy this book. There were some wonderfully poignant moments, for instance, the scene with the archived email, really got to me as an older sister to a younger brother. Yet, I think with all the hype surrounding it, I was a little disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment