Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Book's I'd Like to See Made into Films

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme started by the girls at The Broke & The Bookish. I think the majority of the following have already been made into films, or are in the process of being made into films, but I'll keep them here.

1). Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. It has already been made into a film, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, but they totally messed up the ending. So I'd like to see a version with the 'proper' ending intact, because that's what gives the book it's greatness.

2). The Angel Experiment by James Patterson. The entire Maximum Ride series is really cinematic anyway, it reads almost like a film and so I'm surprised they haven't already been adapted. With the CGI we have now, and with the awesome young actors that are rising up, it should be an easy thing to do.

3). The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt. If they can make a film of Possession, which I didn't really feel was in need of adaptation when I read it, then this novel could make the leap a lot easier. It has a sprawling cast of characters and spans all the different historical events of the 19th and early 20th century; it have one of those 'Who's Who' of costume drama casts. Plus, I can imagine the stories being done in a similar way to the 3 brothers story (can't remember the actual name!) in Deathly Hallows P.1

4). Paper Towns by John Green. It's between this and Looking for Alaska, but I think Paper Towns has a little more action and it's a road trip film, what could be more cool?!

5). Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks. Apparently the BBC are doing an adaptation of this next year, but I do think it would transfer really well to the big screen. Even the scenes with Stephen and Isabelle would probably be good on the big screen; plus after Ben Barnes played Stephen in the play, he could easily be a shoe-in for the part.

6). Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson. This would be a crazy film, with it's million different plot strands, but I think a film constructed with a linear narrative and then flashbacks could be quite interesting. I could also see certain actors playing more than one part to reflect the genetic similarities between the characters.

7). Noughts & Crosses by Malorie Blackman. Mainly because, as with the Angel Experiment, I'm totally baffled as to why this hasn't been committed to screen yet. It's such a great story and against the current turmoil going in the world it could offer some really interesting perspectives.

8). Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. This is on the list mainly so I can express my excitement at the fact that this is being done, starring Keira Knightley. I haven't seen the previous adaptations, but I'm quite excited by this. Plus, the parts of the novel that dragged for me were Tolstoy's long passages about the peasant problem, which fortunately will be cut down/out in a film.

9). The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. The original detective story; it has a crazy villain and a great female lead in the form of Marian Halcombe.

10). Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. This was on Jamie's list, and at first I was a bit like WHAT, because for me part of the joy that I got out of the book was the various forms and fun print exclusions. However, on reflection, if done sensitively I feel that this could be a great movie; so long as they got a really good young actor in the role of Oskar.

No comments:

Post a Comment