Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Book Covers I Wish I Could Re-Design

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme created by the people over at The Broke & The Bookish. I take so much joy out of reading other peoples I thought I might give it a go. I do only make eight this week; but I guess this may be because I do have a rather horrid habit of judging books by their covers!
  1. The UK paperback cover of Looking for Alaska (John Green)
    One of the great things about John Green's novel is the fact that it has a male protaganist. It's essentially a unisex coming-of-age story. However, this copy would pretty much send any guy running a mile. It's flower (which is only vaguely related to the story) just says 'girlie', as does the curly writing at the bottom of the cover

  2. Peyton Place (Grace Metalious)

    Sure, it's by no means War & Peace, but Peyton Place is by no means a pile of sleaze. However, I just felt plain embarrassed reading my copy in public-I sat on the bus with it firmly in my lap so none of the old people got worried about the semi-naked woman on the front. The new cover is hardly any better either.

  3. Any book that has a film tie-in cover (pictured: Atonement by Ian McEwan & The Hours by Michael Cunningham)

    I don't think I'm a book snob but I don't see why publishers feel the need to suddenly change the cover of a book. I wouldn't go so far as to not buy a book because it has a film cover; but to me the best way for publishers/book shops to draw attention to the novels would be to have shelves that feature them.

  4. Behind the Scenes at the Museum (Kate Atkinson)
    There is a massive plot spoiler on this cover. That's all I can say.

  5. The I Heart series (Lindsey Kelk)


    Granted, I really disliked I Heart New York, but I do believe that the covers could be slightly more inspiring. Plus, they all look so, so similar; to me there has to be an obvious difference between the covers.

  6. Any book that has a massive picture of the face of the lead character on it (pictured Sovay by Celia Rees & The Morning Gift as Eva Ibbotson)


    To me, the appearance of the lead character should be something that the reader should be able to decide on; and it's hard to decide this when you've been given a pre-set picture of what they look like

  7. The creepy Twilight (Stephanie Meyer) cover that was on the version I read.

    Although I don't really like the *actual* cover either, it's far less weird and creepy than this one. This cover almost makes Bella look like the vampire, as opposed to Edward.

  8. Every single Mills & Boon book ever. (pictured A Compromised Lady by Elizabeth Rolls)

    Okay. I know that these do make Peyton Place look like War & Peace. They are pretty much all the same story and are the very definition of fluffy reads; but that doesn't mean they have to look quite as trashy as they always tend to. And don't get me started on the titles!

No comments:

Post a Comment